[Python-Dev] Making staticmethod objects callable?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Mar 16 06:20:21 CET 2006

On 3/15/06, Nicolas Fleury <nidoizo at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think we all agree on this list that there's no point using a
> staticmethod for that use case.  My suggestion was for some
> comp.lang.python people, a lot coming from other languages.  Their
> reflex would be much more to define a staticmethod.  This issue has been
> pointed a lot of times on comp.lang.python.

There's no need to change Python so that people coming from other
languages won't make silly mistakes, is there?

BTW I question the claimed reflex -- assuming by "other languages" you
mean Java or C++ (the only languages I know that *have* static
methods) -- since those languages don't have the ability to call
methods (static or otherwise) at class definition time.

So perhaps you need to dig deeper to find out *why* this is a recurring issue.