[Python-Dev] Py3k branch - please stay out :-)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Mar 15 00:30:05 CET 2006

So I created a Py3K branch in subversion.  (Due to my slippery fingers
it's actually called p3yk -- that's fine, it may keep bystanders out,
and it means we can rename it to the proper name when it's more ready
for public consumption. :-)

My current plans for this branch are simple: I'm going to rip out some
obvious stuff (string exceptions, classic classes) and get a "feel"
for what Python 3000 might look like. I'm not particularly looking for
help -- if all goes well this is going to be my personal hobby project
for the next few months, and then we'll see where we stand. I promised
OSCON a keynote on Python 3000 so that's a convenient deadline.

In other news, I'd like to nominate Neal Norwitz as the Python 2.5
"release coordinator". He's already doing a great job doing exactly
what I think a coordinator should be doing. Anthony will remain
release manager, Tim, Martin, Fred and others will do their stuff; but
Neal can be the public face. He and Anthony should probably get
together on IM and decide on the actual release schedule. For all
Python 2.5 issues, please look to Neal. Also, if your proposal doesn't
already have a PEP number, it shouldn't be going into Python 2.5. It's
time to start releasing and stop evolving for a few months...