[Python-Dev] checkin r43015

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Tue Mar 14 01:55:11 CET 2006

After the recent discussion about Coverity, I took a look at one of the
checkins made, apparently based on output from their tool.

http://svn.python.org/view/python/branches/release24-maint/Objects/object.c?&r1=43015&r2=43014&rev=43015&view=diff&diff_format=l

This change, a backport of a similar change made to HEAD, doesn't seem
to fix the flaw:  the PyUnicode_CheckExact() call is now guarded against
a NULL return, but the subsequent PyUnicode_Check() and PyString_Check()
calls don't seem to be.

I'm not 100% sure what's going on here, but it still looks a bit fishy.
The API reference says that PyObject_AsUnicode may return NULL, so why
doesn't the function just call PyErr_BadInternalCall() and return NULL?

Jeff