[Python-Dev] Developing/patching ctypes

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Fri Mar 10 12:16:59 CET 2006

Thomas Wouters wrote:
> On 3/10/06, Thomas Heller <theller at python.net> wrote:
>
>> Would it be a solution to move the 'official' ctypes development into
>> Python SVN external/ctypes, or would this be considered abuse?  Another
>> location in SVN could be used as well, if external is though to contain
>> only vendor drops...
>

> If all the developers are also python-developers (or at least have svn
> access), and the source is supposed to be identical, SVN obviously beats SVN

I didn't know that SVN is *that great* :) !

> :) I can work equally well with the main repository in CVS, though, and I've
> had quite a bit of practice in merging changes.

Cool.

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> external indeed is meant only for vendor drops.
>
> I personally don't mind having the "upstream" ctypes repository also
> in svn.python.org; this would be similar to distutils, setuptools,
> and (I think) the email package. Currently, some of them live in
> sandbox/trunk, but I wouldn't mind it living in /ctypes/trunk, either.
> Be aware that the set of committers to svn.python.org/projects is
> currently restricted to Python committers.

I think the currently active ctypes developers are also Python committers,
additionally I've asked on the ctypes-users list for objections.

I'll think about this stuff over the weekend, currently I tend to moving
ctypes to Python SVN.  Whether it will be /ctypes/trunk or sandbox/ctypes
I don't really care.

In the meantime, please: If anyone is going to make fixes to the ctypes source code
(apart from Tim's regular whitespace cleanup), please do this in the ctypes CVS
repository on sourceforge, in the trunk.  If anyone (of the Python developers)
wants to do this and doesn't currently have commit access, please mail me your
SF userid privately.  Note that both perky and Thomas Wouters have promised to
do Py_ssize_t fixes - please coordinate that to avoid double work.

Thomas