[Python-Dev] ctypes is in SVN now.

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Thu Mar 9 17:27:56 CET 2006

Thomas Heller <theller at python.net> wrote:

>> I discussed with Martin a bit about the opportunity of generating .vcproj
>> files with a script-driven tool. I'm going to try and setup something as
>> soon as I find some spare time.
>
> Ideally this would be integrated with distutils because the setup-script
> has most of the information that's needed.
>
> OTOH, extensions could be built with distutils even for core Python, and
> even on Windows.  For extensions that are *not* builtin or not included
with
> Python itself distutils works good enough.

I fear this is an orthogonal change. Alas, using distutils to build core
extensions is not something I'm ready to tackle at the moment.

I was just thiking of something much more naive like using a free tool to
build .vcproj/.sln (see www.cmake.org for instance) from a script
description. With such a tool, it would be very easy to build a .pyd file
around a self-contained .c file (like _heapqmodule.c, etc.), it would mostly
be a couple of line changes in the script file, and then re-run the tool
executable to regenerate vcproj/sln. OTOH, both the tool executable
(cmake.exe in this example) and the current version of the generated
vcproj/sln files would be committed in SVN under PCbuild, so to have a
minimal impact on developer habits.
--
Giovanni Bajo