[Python-Dev] conditional expressions - add parens?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 14:15:03 CET 2006

On 3/7/06, Jeremy Hylton <jeremy at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On 3/6/06, Alex Martelli <aleaxit at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 6, 2006, at 9:17 AM, Jim Jewett wrote:
> > > I think that adding parentheses would help, by at least signalling
> > > that the logic is longer than just the next (single) expression.
> > >
> > >     level = (0 if "absolute_import" in self.futures else -1)
> >
> > +1 (just because I can't give it +3.1415926...!!!).  *Mandatory*
> > parentheses make this form MUCH more readable.
>
> Recent language features seem to be suffereing from excessive
> parenthesisitis.

Agreed. Mandatory parentheses purely for readability are ultimately
futile - I bet I can write unreadable code even if the parens were

The parentheses around genexps were (AFAICT) different - without them,
the grammar was ambiguous, so some way of disambiguating was needed.

+0 for mentioning parens around conditional expressions in PEP 8. But
it's aready covered by the general "code should be readable" in my
view.

Paul.