[Python-Dev] C++ for CPython 3? (Re: str.count is slow)

martin at v.loewis.de martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Mar 3 05:45:06 CET 2006

Zitat von "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org>:

>     martin> - increased type-safety, in particular for API that isn't
>     martin> type-checked at all at the moment (e.g. PyArg_ParseTuple)
>
> That's merely an advantage to having a C++ *compiler*.  No need to
> actually use the C++ *language*.  :-)

I don't understand. How can you use a C++ compiler, but not the C++
language? Either a program is required to conform to the C++ syntax
(in which case it is a C++ program), or it isn't.

In the specific example of ParseTuple, I don't see a C++ solution
without templates, FWIW.

> XEmacs has had a policy of compiling without warnings under *both* C
> and C++ for about 5 years now, and it catches a lot of stupidity
> before it leaves the developer's sandbox.

Right. It might be possible to write C++ programs that are also
C programs, and it is then possible to release binaries of these
through the C compiler. However, in the Python case, I doubt it
would gain that much. As the recent const dilemma shows, C99 and C++98
have, unfortunately, different interpretations of "const" (with the
C interpretation being more strict).

Regards,
Martin