[Python-Dev] defaultdict and on_missing()

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Thu Mar 2 17:25:02 CET 2006

> For an example of methods gone horribly wrong, look at Java, where you
> have <bultin-array>.length, String.length(), and Collection.size().
> Give me len() any day. I believe Ruby has similar confusing diversity
> for looping (each/forEach).

But Java is plagued with the same disease that hit Modula-3, distrust
of inheritance.  Done right, a base class called
SomethingOfWhichTheLengthCanBeComputed would have been defined, with a
method "length", and all these other classes would have inherited from
it.  Never too late to learn from the mistakes of the past...

Bill