[Python-Dev] Using and binding relative names (was Re: PEP forBetter Control of Nested Lexical Scopes)

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 08:13:58 CET 2006

[Alex Martelli]
>> We stole list comprehensions and genexps from Haskell

[Greg Ewing]
> The idea predates Haskell, I think. I first saw it in
> Miranda, and it may have come from something even
> earlier -- SETL, maybe?

Haskell indeed took list comprehensions from SETL.  SETL in turn
adopted them from pre-computer standard notation in set theory,
related to the oddly named (but not universally so named) "axiom of
comprehension".

genexps were more directly taken from Icon (because of the "generator" part).