[Python-Dev] msvccompiler.py: some remarks

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven ashemedai at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 07:29:41 CEST 2006

Hi Martin,

On 6/29/06, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> We should remove/change this comment. It is utterly misleading.

To a warning/error stating that you miss a compiler?

> I meant to leave this as a per-shell choice. If you set MSSdk, you
> indicate that the environment you created is "right", and distutils
> should not second-guess you. This is problematic if the user did
> "register environment variables" when installing the SDK, so I plan
> to change this to look for a different environment variable (in
> addition)

OK, that makes sense.

> > 2) As far as I have been able to determine .Net 2.0 uses
> > sdkInstallRootv2.0. Also it installs by default under C:\Program
> > Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\
>
> Forget about Visual Studio 8 and .NET 2.0. It won't help here.

I only have .NET 1.1 and 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005 (8) installed. Why
should I forget about it? Is Python compiled with much older compilers
and thus unable to work together in a nice way or?

> > So basically a bunch of logic needs to be rewritten for newer version
> > support and I will investigate this.
>
> No. The checks are all fine.

For what I can see not if you have newer versions of .NET such as 2.0,
which is basically the defacto standard at the moment.
So please elaborate a bit more so that I gain some insight about this,
because I am needing this in order to build a working pyDB2 on my
Windows system to do some testing.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven