[Python-Dev] xturtle.py a replacement for turtle.py(!?) ATTENTION PLEASE!

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 13:03:30 CEST 2006

On 6/28/06, Gregor Lingl <glingl at aon.at> wrote:
> I made xturtle.py and that was a big effort. And I offer it to replace
> turtle.py. I do this because I'm a Python enthusiast and I want a better
> Python. (And I know very well that my contribution is rather marginal).
> We all, I think, have this motive. And of course it was my
> fault to submit it too late.

I am certainly interested in your module, and will have a look at it
in due course (to use it, not as a review for inclusion in Python).

> So, if you can't accept that offer - now, or even ever - , because it
> contradicts your rules, that's o.k. But it's not 'my cause'. I concieve
>  it to be the community's cause.

It's purely a timing issue. You offered the module just before the
Python 2.5 feature freeze. At that point in time, a brand new module
intended to replace an existing one is almost certainly going to be
rejected, simply from time constraints.

I see no reason at all why you can't offer the module for Python 2.6, however.

> The only point is, that it leaves Python's turtle.py an (imho)
> unsatisfactory solution.

Please be aware that *someone* will need to champion your module for
inclusion into Python 2.6 As Martin points out, review will require
some effort - and particularly if the proposal is to replace turtle.py
rather than sitting alongside it. It will be necessary to persuade one
of the core developers to care enough to spend time on this. They are
all doing this in their spare time, and have their own interests which
will come first.

I know from experience that getting developer time is hard. It's
possible that it would help to leave the module as an external project
for a while, until enough other people in the Python community have
acknowledged its usefulness, and can testify that it gives them no
issues. At that point, the job of a reviewer becomes much easier
(there's a user base confirming most of the things a reviewer has to
consider) and so it is more likely that your module will be accepted.

Paul.