[Python-Dev] xturtle.py a replacement for turtle.py(!?)

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Wed Jun 28 19:21:09 CEST 2006

On Thursday 29 June 2006 03:03, Collin Winter wrote:
> This may be a stupid question, but we're talking about replacing
> the turtle.py in Lib/lib-tk/, right? The one that's basically just
> a GUI demo / introduction to programming tool?
>
> If so, can someone explain to me how improving something like this
> is akin to introducing new keywords that everyone will take
> advantage of (to use Josiah's True/False example)?

2.x.y releases should be compatible for all values of y, (including
the empty value <wink>). PEP-006 has the details and rationale.
People shouldn't have to worry that things break with a minor
release. It's important that packagers of Python for distributions
can feel confident that a "bugfix" release of Python is _actually_
just a bugfix release, and that they can push it out to their users.
This means everyone wins.

I'm unconvinced that a new turtle module is worth ramming in on short
notice to make it into 2.5 final. It can easily be made available via
the cheeseshop and with setuptools for extremely easy installation
between 2.5 and 2.6. With all the work that's been done to make 2.5
what will hopefully be the most solid Python release ever, I don't
want to slip up now. :-)

And needless to say, there is no way it is suitable for a bugfix
release.

Had it been pushed through a couple of weeks earlier (while we were in
alpha) - sure, it looks like it could have been a good addition to
the stdlib. But the release timeline's been out there for a while
now - heck, b1 was actually a few days later than originally planned.

Anthony