[Python-Dev] Is Lib/test/crashers/recursive_call.py really a crasher?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Jun 27 18:31:35 CEST 2006

If you look at that crasher, you will notice that recursion depth is set to
1 << 30 before any code is run.  If you remove that setting high setting and
go with the default then the test doesn't crash and raises the appropriate
RuntimeError.

Setting the recursion depth to such a high number will crash the interpreter
even when the proper recursion checks are in place.  This doesn't seem like
a legit crasher to me if it requires an insane recursion depth that would
crash almost any C program that had recursion in it.

Anyone have any objections if I call foul on the test and remove it without
any changes to Python?

-Brett