[Python-Dev] doc for new restricted execution design for Python

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Jun 25 22:06:53 CEST 2006

On 6/24/06, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Brett Cannon wrote:
> > Yep.  That API will be used directly in the changes to pymalloc and
> > PyMem_*() macros (or at least the basic idea).  It is not *only* for
> > extension modules but for the core as well.
> >
> >     Existing extension modules and existing C code in the Python
> interpreter
> >     have no idea of any PyXXX_ calls, so I don't understand how new API
> >     functions help here.
> >

> > The calls get added to pymalloc and PyMem_*() under the hood, so that
> > existing extension modules use the memory check automatically without a
> > change.  The calls are just there in case some one has some random need
> > to do their own malloc but still want to participate in the cap.  Plus
> > it helped me think everything through by giving everything I would need
> > to change internally an API.
>
> This confused me a bit, too. It might help if you annotated each of the
> new
> API's with who the expected callers were:
>
>    - trusted interpreter
>    - untrusted interpreter
>    - embedding application
>    - extension module

There are only two "different" possible callers for the whole API: a trusted
interpreter or embedded application that launches an untrusted interpreter,
and then there is *everyone* (this removes the distinction of trusted and
untrusted interpreter and just views them as an interpreter).  The former
use the setting API to set the limits of the untrusted interpreter being
created, while everyone else uses the API to make sure an untrusted
interpreter does not overstep its bounds.  The checks are done regardless of
the type of interpreter, it just varies on whether the checks are NOOPs or
not.

Since the memory cap seems to be causing the confusion, let me try it
again.  You are in a trusted interpreter or embedded app and you want an
untrusted interpreter with a memory cap.  You create the interpreter and
call the PyXXX_SetMemoryCap() function on the untrusted interpreter to set
that cap.  Now, within the core interpreter code (untrusted or not) for
where the interpreter allocates and deallocates memory there are calls to
PyXXX_MemoryAllow() and PyXXX_MemoryFree().  If this is the trusted
interpreter running, they are basically NOOPs.  If it is an untrusted
interpreter, then the actual checks are done to make sure the restriction is
not broken.

And if an extension module has some reason to use the memory cap checks as
well, it can.  Same with an embedded application.

There  is no grand distinction in terms of "this is for use in the core only
while these are only for extension modules".  It is just whether a function
is used to set a restriction before an untrusted interpreter is used, or to
check to make sure that a restriction is not violated.

-Brett