[Python-Dev] Switch statement

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Jun 22 22:14:12 CEST 2006

At 12:54 PM 6/22/2006 -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>Summarizing our disagreement, I think you feel that
>freeze-on-first-use is most easily explained and understood while I
>feel that freeze-at-def-time is more robust. I'm not sure how to get
>past this point except by stating that you haven't convinced me... I
>think it's time to sit back and wait for someone else to weigh in with
>a new argument.

Which I think you and Fredrik have found, if "case" implies "static".  It
also looks attractive as an addition in its own right, independent of "switch".

In any case, my point wasn't to convince you but to make you aware of
certain costs and benefits that I wasn't sure you'd perceived.  It's clear
from your response that you *have* perceived them now, so I'm quite
satisfied by that outcome -- i.e., my goal wasn't to "convince" you to
adopt a particular proposal, but rather to make sure you understood and
considered the ramifications of the ones under discussion.

That being said, there isn't anything to "get past"; from my POV, the
discussion is already a success.  :)