[Python-Dev] Source control tools

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Jun 12 23:39:45 CEST 2006

On 6/12/06, Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org> wrote:

> [...]
> Arch/tla/Bazaar, Bazaar-NG, Arx, CodeVille, SVK) and I haven't had time to
> give them all the in-depth examination they are worthy of, but so far it
> looks like only a few of them currently scale well enough to handle a large
> (history-rich) project like Python. Not that it's fair to expect them to
> scale well, mind you, given that most of them are only a few years old and
> most don't claim to be " 1.0".
>
> Using 'tailor' ( http://www.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/Tailor ) I imported the
> Python sourcetree with full history into Darcs and Git. I also did a partial
> import into Monotone (history going back a few months) -- the Monotone
> import was a lot slower than the others, and I didn't feel like waiting a
> week. I then made a branch of each and imported the p3yk branch into them
> (using some hand-crafting of tailor's internal data, as it doesn't seem to
> support branch-imports at the moment.) Darcs was being troublesome at that
> point, but I haven't spent the time to figure out if it was something I or
> tailor did wrong in the import. As I said, Monotone was rather slow, which
> is not surprising considering it does a lot of signing of digital
> certificates. I personally like Monotone a lot, because its central
> branch-database is the 'next step up' from what most SCMs do and because I
> really like the cryptographic aspect, but it's probably too complex for
> Python. Git, the 'low level SCM' developed for the Linux kernel, is
> incredibly fast in normal operation and does branches quite well. I suspect
> much of its speed is lost on non-Linux platforms, though, and I don't know
> how well it works on Windows ;)
>
> I did partial imports into Mercurial and Bazaar-NG, but I got interrupted
> and couldn't draw any conclusions -- although from looking at the
> implementation, I don't think they'd scale very well at the moment (but that
> could probably be fixed.) I should also look at SVK (a BitKeeper-style SCM
> ontop of Subversion, really), but tailor doesn't support it (yet) and my
> last look was just too depressing to cope with manually importing Python.
>
> In short[*], I don't see an immediate candidate for an alternate SCM for
> Python (although Git is sexy), but there's lots of long-term possibilities.
> I intend to keep my Git and Darcs repositories up to date (it's little
> effort to make tailor update them), tailorize Mercurial, Bazaar-NG, (full)
> Monotone and probably others, tailorize some branches as well, and publish
> them somewhere, hopefully with instructions, observations and honest
> opinions (I just need to find the right place to host it, as e.g. Monotone
> really wants a separate daemon process to run.)  I also intend to do my own
> p3yk development in one of those SCMs; I can just export patches and apply
> them to SVN when they're ready ;P I would like to hear if others have any
> interest at all in this, though, if anything to keep me motivated during the

I am interested, especially in Bazaar-NG.  Martin Poole's (author of
Bazaar-NG) talk at PyCon was good.  Plus Canonical might be willing to help
us out if we ever went with Bazaar (I believe they stated this once back
when the cvs->svn move was happening).

-Brett

Oh, and in case it matters to people: tailor, Mercurial and Bazaar-NG are