[Python-Dev] Dropping externally maintained packages (Was: Please stop changing wsgiref on the trunk)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Jun 12 22:35:36 CEST 2006

On 6/12/06, Thomas Heller <theller at python.net> wrote:
> I will be happy to say "ctypes is part of Python" (although I *fear* it
> is not one of the packages enthusiastically supported by Guido ;-).

I don't plan to use it myself, but I'm very happy that it's in the
stdlib since so many people like it.

Somebody please update PEP 360 (and PEP 291).

> Well, if the compatibility requirements can be retained, at least (ctypes
> should currently be compatible with Python 2.3, but that can probably be raised
> to 2.4 when Python 2.5 is officially released, or shortly thereafter).

That ought to be indicated in PEP 291 and in the ctypes source code somewhere.

> I am *very* thankful for the fixes, the code review, the suggestions,
> and the encouragement I got by various python-devers.

You're welcome. And we're thankful for your contribution!

> I'm even happy
> to revert changes by others done by accident (which destroy comatibility
> with Python 2.3, for example. Well, there was only one).

Please keep in mind that reverting someone else's changes without
prior discussion is a very rude thing to do. The proper procedure is
to point out their mistake and give them the opportunity to revert it
themselves (or defend their change -- so a public discussion can
ensue).

Disagreements should not be settled by battling checkins; I'd like to
see that developers who ignore this rule repeatedly risk having their
commit privileges taken away temporarily.