[Python-Dev] External Package Maintenance

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Mon Jun 12 21:16:37 CEST 2006

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 10:42:44AM -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> standard library code is just more of a maintenance burden. Maybe we
> should get serious about slimming down the core distribution and
> having a separate group of people maintain sumo bundles containing
> Python and lots of other stuff. Or maybe we don't even need the

That separate group of people = Linux distributors, ActiveState,
whoever maintains the fink archive (and to some degree Apple), so we
already have sumo distributions available.

That doesn't help people on platforms without package databases or
repositories of free software, but I don't know if any such platforms
matter.  I'd bet over 90% of people writing Python code are on one of
Windows, MacOS, or Linux; Solaris would add a small sliver to that
90%, and then all the other platforms (other Unix variants, Palms,
Nokias, etc.) are in the noise.

--amk