[Python-Dev] Please stop changing wsgiref on the trunk

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Jun 12 18:29:48 CEST 2006

At 09:04 AM 6/12/2006 -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>IOW I think PEP 360 is an unfortunate historic accident, and we would
>be better off without it. I propose that we don't add to it going
>forward, and that we try to get rid of it as we can.

4 of the 6 modules in PEP 360 were added to Python in 2.5, so if you want
to get rid of it, *now* would be the time.

There is an approach that would address this issue and others relating to
external packages, but it would require changes to how Python is
built.  That is, I would propose a directory to contain
externally-maintained packages, each with their own setup.py.  These
packages could be built and installed with Python, but would then also be
separately-distributable.

Alternately, such packages could be done using svn:externals tied to
specific release versions of the external packages.

This idea would address the needs of external maintainers (having a single
release history) while still allowing Python developers to modify the code
(if the external package is in Python's SVN repository).