[Python-Dev] tarfile and unicode filenames in windows

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Jun 8 23:34:40 CEST 2006

Facundo Batista wrote:
> This is because tarinfo.tobuf() creates a unicode object (because it
> has the filename on it), and file.write() must have a standard string.
>
> This is a known problem? Shall I post a bug? Couldn't find any
> regarding this, and google didn't help here.

You could file a bug report, but I doubt that helps much. To get this
to work, somebody would have to research on how precisely non-ASCII
file names are supposed to be encoded in a tarfile. I know Unix 2003
specifies something to this effect (in pax(1)), but somebody would have
to understand and implement that. As this is all fairly non-trivial,
and must also consider a lot of prior art, it is unlikely that something
will be done about it in the next years.

Regards,
Martin