[Python-Dev] Stdlib Logging questions (PEP 337 SoC)

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon Jun 5 04:34:27 CEST 2006

    Jim> (1)  Should we ask Vinay Sajip to add a convenience function (for
    Jim>      getting the stdlib logger) to the logging module itself?

-1.

    Jim> (2)  Should NAME be module.__name__?

Seems reasonable.

    Jim> (3)  Should she put out a message when a (now logged) module is
    Jim>      loaded?  If so, at what level?

-1.  I don't think it buys you anything.  If you need it, the -v command
line flag should be sufficient.

    Jim> (4)  Should she add (other) debugging information that is not
    Jim>      already present?

I'd say "no".  Behavior changes should be kept to a bare minimum.

    Jim> (5)  Should she clean up other issues when touching a module?

I suggest they be submitted as separate patches so as not to confuse
distinct issues (say, if one part needs to be retracted).

Skip