[Python-Dev] Python Benchmarks

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Sat Jun 3 02:26:33 CEST 2006

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 07:44:07PM -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
> Fortran code could scream.  Test times were reproducible to the
> nanosecond with no effort.  Running on a modern box for a few
> microseconds at a time is a way to approximate that, provided you
> measure the minimum time with a high-resolution timer :-)

On Linux with a multi-CPU machine, you could probably boot up the
system to use N-1 CPUs, and then start the Python process on CPU N.
That should avoid the process being interrupted by other processes,
though I guess there would still be some noise from memory bus and
kernel lock contention.

(At work we're trying to move toward this approach for doing realtime
audio: devote one CPU to the audio computation and use other CPUs for
I/O, web servers, and whatnot.)

--amk