[Python-Dev] Patch submitted, now what?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Jul 31 20:53:14 CEST 2006

On 7/31/06, Chad Whitacre <chad at zetaweb.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Last week I submitted a patch (my first),

Thanks!

and now I'm wondering what my
> expectations should be. Do I sit around and wait? How long? Do I notify
> this list? Do I notify a specific person, say, an author or reviewer of
> the original code I modified? Do I use SF's assignment mechanism? Who do
> I assign it to?

Let it sit for now.  We get email notifications when new patches come in.
Since we are all volunteers it can take a little while before we get to it.

And don't assign it to anyone.  Let us handle that.

These are the questions I have, unanswered (afaict) by the patch
> documentation I've found:
>
>    http://www.python.org/dev/patches/
>    http://www.python.org/dev/patches/style/
>    http://www.python.org/patches/
>    http://www.python.org/patches/style.html
>    http://www.python.org/dev/tools/#patch-tracking

Those docs needs to be overhauled.  I am planning to consolidate into a
single patch guidelines doc in a month or so.

Any insight?