[Python-Dev] test_uuid

Ka-Ping Yee python-dev at zesty.ca
Sat Jul 29 22:05:16 CEST 2006

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, Neal Norwitz wrote:
> I just checked in a change to disable testing 2 uuid functions
> (_ifconfig_get_node and unixdll_getnode) that fail on many platforms.
> Here's the message:
>
> """
> Disable these tests until they are reliable across platforms. These
> problems may mask more important, real problems.
>
> One or both methods are known to fail on: Solaris, OpenBSD, Debian, Ubuntu.
> They pass on Windows and some Linux boxes.
> """

_ifconfig_get_node() should work on all Linuxes.  (Thanks for fixing
it to work on more types of Unix.)

It's okay for unixdll_getnode to fail when the necessary shared library
is not available.

Ideally, test_uuid should serve as a record of which platforms we expect
these routines to work on.  The uuid module as a whole isn't broken if
one of these routines fails; it just means that we don't have complete
platform coverage and/or test_uuid has inaccurate expectations of which
routines work on which platforms.

-- ?!ng