[Python-Dev] uuid test suite failing

Ka-Ping Yee python-dev at zesty.ca
Sat Jul 29 22:00:50 CEST 2006

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Neal Norwitz wrote:
> This only fixes 1 of the 2 failures in test_uuid.  The other one is
> due to _unixdll_getnode() failing.  This is because
> _uuid_generate_time is None because we couldn't find it in the uuid
> library.  This is just broken, not sure if it's the code or the test
> though.  We should handle the case if _uuid_generate_time and the
> others are None better.  I don't know what to do in this case.

The design intention is this: each of the various *_getnode() functions
is supposed to work on the platform for which it was written.  For
example, _windll_getnode() is supposed to work on Windows, and will
raise an exception on other platforms; if it raises an exception on
Windows, something is wrong (the code's expectations of the OS are
not met).  When uuid_generate_time is unavailable, _unixdll_getnode()
is supposed to fail.

The getnode() function is just supposed to get an available MAC
address; that's why it catches any exceptions raised by the
*_getnode() functions.

-- ?!ng