[Python-Dev] Testing Socket Timeouts patch 1519025

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sat Jul 29 17:29:03 CEST 2006

I'm trying to write a test for my Socket Timeouts patch [1], which fixes
signal handling (notably Ctl-C == SIGINT == KeyboarInterrupt) on socket
operations using a timeout.  I don't see a portable way to send a signal,
and asking the test runner to press Ctl-C is a non-starter.  A "real"
signal is needed to interrupt the select() (or equivalent) call, because
that's what wasn't being handled correctly.  The bug should happen on the
other platforms I don't know how to test on.

Is there a portable way to send a signal?  SIGINT would be best, but
another signal (such as SIGALRM) would do, I think.

If not, should I write the test to only work on systems implementing
SIGALRM, the signal I'm using now, or implementing kill(), or what?

[1] <http://www.python.org/sf/1519025>