[Python-Dev] New miniconf module

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Jul 28 21:38:34 CEST 2006

Sylvain Fourmanoit wrote:
> Armin Rigo wrote:
>
>> In the same spirit, maybe it could be slightly re-oriented towards a
>> dumper/loader for more than config files; for example, it could provide
>> a safe inverse of repr() for common built-in types
>>

> New version of miniconf (version 1.2.0) is out [1][2], including a
> unrepr() function; that's the only change this time.
>
> Michael Foord wrote:
>
>> ConfigObj [3] gained an 'unrepr' mode a while back. The code is simple,
>> and originally came from CherryPy.
>>

> Thanks for the link! I completely missed ConfigObj. It indeed shares a
> lot with my code. At the core, it use many of the same ideas and
> implementation techniques... In many ways, it is also a lot more
> advanced, specialized than miniconf: for instance, it introduce a new,
> specialized Config File format, while my effort aimed at keeping things
> minimal.

Cool - I made the post so you could reuse the unrepr code, but I'm glad
you like ConfigObj. :-)

If miniconf can store and restore instances of classes (which I guess it
does if you see it as an improvement of pickle ?) then it does more than
ConfigObj unrepr mode - which simply allows you to store basic
data-types in config files (amongst all the other things it does...).

Michael