[Python-Dev] remaining issues from Klocwork static analysis

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jul 26 07:32:01 CEST 2006

Neal Norwitz wrote:
> We never really did address this issue did?  A while back we talked
> about whether to assert vs check and do PyErr_BadInternalCall().  I
> don't remember a clear resolution (though my memory).  I vaguely
> remember a preference towards asserting, but I don't know if that was
> in all cases or maybe it was just my preference. :-)
>
> I'm happy to assert here too.  But it's really a broader question.  I
> guess I'm even happy to just remove the X.  It would be nice to handle
> this consistently going forward.

I would just remove the X.

If we want to handle it consistently, we would have to check all pointer
parameters in all functions; this would be a huge task (and for little
value, IMO).

In any case, "closure && PyTuple_Check(closure)" would be wrong, since
it then goes into

                PyErr_Format(PyExc_SystemError,
                             "expected tuple for closure, got '%.100s'",
                             closure->ob_type->tp_name);

which crashes just the same.

Regards,
Martin