[Python-Dev] Python 2.4, VS 2005 & Profile Guided Optmization

Joe Smith unknown_kev_cat at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 24 19:35:36 CEST 2006

"Greg Ewing" <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote in message
news:44C451CB.3060607 at canterbury.ac.nz...
> Joe Smith wrote:
>
>> Microsoft as a general rule, does not go after people distributing
>> products
>> that Microsoft has labeled
>> free, even after Microsoft no longer distributes that product.
>
> But if the licence agreement technically forbids
> redistribution, it doesn't seem like a good idea
> to rely on Microsoft turning a blind eye to that.

I agree, although it seems very unlikely Microsoft would
bother as they are busy enough the the pirating of the for-cost software.

I was a little surprised that they did not allow verbatim duplicates of that
software,
expecially as it has the feel of freeware, or even shareware (the commecial
versions
have additional features). I would actually not be surprised if somebody
could
convince Microsoft to allow them to distribute these versions even after
Microsoft
no longer supports them. That would be the ideal situation.