[Python-Dev] Community buildbots -- reprise

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jul 22 17:53:23 CEST 2006

Grig Gheorghiu wrote:
>     As I said earlier: If you need some kind of post-commit
>     trigger on the python repository to trigger a build, just
>     let me know. We currently use a more-or-less plain
>     svn_buildbot.py to trigger our own builds.
>
> Wouldn't that put too much of a burden on the python core build system?
> It would have to be aware of all the buildslaves running specific projects.

If there is a single "community buildbot", then no. In any case, it's
primarily administrative overhead, not so much cycles. python.org does
so many things simultaneously, making it trigger an additional build
remotely doesn't hurt.

> I was thinking about having a dedicated buildmaster machine, such as the
> one Neal says he already has, and configure that machine to coordinate a
> small army of buildslaves which will be contributed for people
> interested in this effort.

Right. You still need to find out when to rebuild, and getting triggers
from the source repositories is likely the easiest solution.

Regards,
Martin