[Python-Dev] Strategy for converting the decimal module to C

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 02:52:11 CEST 2006

[Raymond]
>> Even then, we need to drop the concept of having the flags as counters
>> rather than booleans.

[Georg Brandl]
> Yes. Given that even Tim couldn't imagine a use case for counting the
> exceptions, I think it's sensible.

That's not it -- someone will "find a use" for anything.  It's
unfortunate that we used a dict with counts because the /standard/
we're trying to meet requires no such thing, and clearly had a "pile
of on/off bits" model in mind.  Extending a standard without strong
need creates problems (for example, this one <0.5 wink>).