[Python-Dev] Python Style Sheets ? Re: User's complaints

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Jul 17 22:06:35 CEST 2006

Boris Borcic wrote:
>> Boris Borcic <bborcic at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> [snip..]
> I am just saying :
>
> (1) be aware that "reversible source to source transforms" means that language
> differences can *EFFECTIVELY* be made invisible - turned to purely private
> choices (in the sense of "because there exists perfect automatic two-way
> translation between equivalent languages", *NOT* "because we don't exchange code
> written in incompatible languages").
>
> (2) of course that frame limits language differences, but nevertheless it
> relaxes that limit relative to the current situation of "no differences", and
> please don't write it off without any effort to evaluate its possibilities.

Something similar to your suggestions are already possible through third
part extensions like EasyExtend or Logix. (Effectively implementing a
separate compiler.)

Readability (one way to do it...) are a central part of the Python
philosophy. This philosophy means that it is important that code written
by one developer should be readable by others.

Your suggestions have little to no chance of making it into the core
Python distribution.

All the best,

Michael Foord