[Python-Dev] Community buildbots

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Sat Jul 15 04:47:26 CEST 2006

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 23:38:52 +0200, "\"Martin v. Löwis\"" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>Christopher Armstrong wrote:
>> python -U is a failure for obvious reasons and a
>> __future__ import is clearly better.
>
>I disagree.

I am surprised that you do, since I thought that Chris's conclusion was
pretty obvious.  Python -U doesn't work, even on the standard library.

For example,

glyph at legion:~% python -S -U -c 'import pickletools'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/pickletools.py", line 219, in ?
    doc="One-byte unsigned integer.")
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/pickletools.py", line 187, in __init__
    assert isinstance(name, str)
AssertionError

This was just the first convenient example.  There are others.

A __future__ import would allow these behaviors to be upgraded module-by-module.
Right now, all -U provides is an option that can't be used on any realistically
sized program, so I don't see what the utility is.