[Python-Dev] Community buildbots (was Re: User's complaints)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Jul 14 08:15:31 CEST 2006

Neal Norwitz wrote:

> Given that several people here think we should lengthen the schedule
> in some way, I suspect we will do something.  I'm not really against
> it, but I don't think it will provide much benefit either.  A few more
> bugs will be fixed since we have more time.

you're still missing the point of this thread: it isn't bugs in the core
Python distribution that's the problem, it's compatibility with third-
party modules and applications.

I'm quite sure that we could ship the current beta2 as 2.5 final and
have a Python release that, in itself, is more stable than all the ones
before it, but since 2.5 introduces lots of new stuff, that stability
doesn't necessarily translate to a better experience for people who
wants to use their existing applications and libraries.

a longer beta period gives *external* developers more time to catch up,
and results in less work for the end users.

</F>