[Python-Dev] User's complaints

Terry Jones terry at jon.es
Fri Jul 14 03:15:14 CEST 2006

>>>>> "Greg" == Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> writes:
Greg> Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
>> It's just nice to be able to define a single class
>> in multiple modules.

Greg> It *seems* nice until you want to track down which
Greg> source file the definition of some method comes
Greg> from.

Greg> Those used to the "one huge global namespace" of
Greg> C and C++ likely don't see this as a problem. But
Greg> since I've come to appreciate the benefits of
Greg> Python's module system, I don't want to go back
Greg> to that nightmare.

While I think there are good arguments both ways, I don't think that
finding source definitions of methods or classes counts as one - let alone
as a nightmare. Tools like tags (in vi and emacs and lisp environments)
work quickly and accurately, are easy to use (one keystroke in vi and
M-. or similar in emacs to go to a defn, and then a tags pop to come back),
work in an identical way on many source languages, and they have been
around for literally decades. That's to say nothing of IDE or CASE tools
that support finding definitions, callers, etc.

Regards,
Terry