[Python-Dev] The buffer() function

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Jul 13 19:20:53 CEST 2006

Thomas Heller wrote:

>>> Naturally I tried to call base64.encodestring(buffer(ctypes_instance))
>>> and it worked, so that was my answer.
 >>
>> does ctypes_instance implement the buffer API ?  if it does, is the
>> buffer() call even necessary ?
>
> Yes, in both cases.

are you sure?  does it implement the bf_getreadbuffer slot?  afaik,
afaicr, and from what I can tell by looking briefly at the sources, the
binascii.b2a_base64 function uses the the s# marker, and that argument
type accepts strings *and* read only buffers, right away.  no extra crud
should be necessary.

</F>