[Python-Dev] User's complaints

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 23:09:23 CEST 2006

On 7/12/06, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:

> Only two breakages is certainly nice, and I know that we all try quite
> hard to minimize that; that's probably still two breakages too much.

I agree, but some of this responsibility has to fall to users.
Sometimes these breakages are bugs, pure and simple.  Our tests don't
catch everything.  This is why it's really, really important to get as
many alpha/beta testers as possible.  Had the issues been brought up
before 2.4 was released, we could have addressed them.

Basically, if you care about these things, test before we release.
That way the issues can be addressed. If you don't care enough to test
and get bitten by a problem, quit whining, you had your chance.  I
have no sympathy for someone who is only willing to whine after the
fact, but unwilling to do any work.  That's really not helpful.

PS  People do this all the time in politics too.  They complain about
someone, when they couldn't even be bothered to vote.