[Python-Dev] "Missing" 2.5 feature

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Mon Jul 10 22:45:02 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 06:16, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> FWIW, I think this patch should go in. The benefits are
> obvious and real.

Yep. I'm going to check it in, unless someone else beats me to it in
the next couple of hours before the b2 freeze.

> But, the imagined costs of a new feature
> during beta are illusory.

This, I cannot agree with. The costs and risks of just continuing to
add new features all through the release process are high. The
chances of us releasing a broken Python increases dramatically. Then
we have to do emergency bugfix releases. And I'm sorry, but the
release process is not something that's zero work. Sure, it's zero
work _for_ _you_ <wink>, but not for Martin, Fred and myself.

> In this case, practicality beats pedantry.

I don't think trying to produce the most stable and bugfree Python
possible could in _anyway_ be considered "pedantry", and it makes me
quite grumpy to have it described in that way.

> For the users, it
> is a net win if this goes in.

In the case of this feature, that's true.

Anthony