[Python-Dev] "Missing" 2.5 feature

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Sun Jul 9 09:05:14 CEST 2006

On Sunday 09 July 2006 11:31, Tim Peters wrote:
> Back in:
>

> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-March/051856.html
>
> I made a pitch for adding:
>
>     sys._current_frames()
>
> to 2.5, which would return a dict mapping each thread's id to that
> thread's current (Python) frame.  As noted there, an extension
> module exists along these lines that's used at least by the popular
> Zope DeadlockDebugger product, but it's not possible to do it
> correctly in an extension.  The latter is why it needs to be in the
> core (so long as it's in an extension, it risks segfaulting,
> because the core's internal `head_mutex` lock isn't exposed).
>
> I forgot about this but was recently reminded.  How much opposition
> would there be to sneaking this into 2.5b2?  It would consist of
> adding a relatively simple new function, docs, and tests; since it
> wouldn't _change_ any existing code, it would have a hard time
> breaking anything that currently works.

Hm. Would it be a smaller change to expose head_mutex so that the
external module could use it?

I'm really not keen on this seeming tide of new features <wink> that
seem to be popping up. We're only a few days away from the second and
final planned beta - it's getting _awfully_ late to be slotting in
new features.

Anthony