[Python-Dev] zlib module build failure on Mac OSX 10.4.7

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Jul 6 12:14:34 CEST 2006

On Jul 5, 2006, at 7:35 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On Jul 4, 2006, at 11:21 PM, Neal Norwitz wrote:
>
>> Ronald, Bob,
>>
>> I know Skip found and fixed his problem, however, is this problem
>> likely to affect other users?  Is there anything we can do to help
>> alleviate/diagnose this problem?
>
> I'll either enhance configure or roll back my change to setup.py.
> I'd prefer to do the former, but if beta2 gets too close I'll just
> change setup.py.

I have checked in a patch that fixes this issue (that is, configure
will correctly set HAVE_ZLIB_COPY even if you have an old static
library of zlib in /usr/local/lib) in revision 47267.

I don't really like that patch, it doesn't smell right. I wonder if
we should just add '-Wl,-search_path_first' to the default LDFLAGS on
OSX, that way the linker would behave more like the one on other unix-
y platforms and special-casing for several libraries could be dropped.

To recap the problem I'm trying to solve: python uses several 3th-
party libraries like libz and libbz2 to build extensions. Some of
these libraries are shipped with OSX as shared libraries. I want to
make it possible to link with local copies of those libraries, mostly
because that makes it possible to run the resulting binary on older
versions of the OS but also because some of the libraries on OSX are
pretty old. I also want to link using static libraries instead of
dynamic libraries. To do that you must use -Wl,-search_paths_first
because otherwise the OSX linker will look for a dylib anywhere on
the path before looking for a static library.

Ronald