[Python-Dev] User's complaints

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 01:49:13 CEST 2006

>  From actual users of
> the language I get more complaints about the breakneck speed of
> Python's evolution than about the brokenness of the current language.

Guido,

I'm really interested in your perspective here.  I assume you hear far
more "average" complaints from Joe Random User.  Can you help give the
rest of us an idea about the top 10 complaints/problems people have?
I realize this will be subjective, that's ok.  Perhaps we should try
to focus our energies on some of these issues.

For example, we heard grumblings about the releases coming too often.
Once we went to an 18 month release schedule, there was minimal
complaining.  It should be fairly safe to assume this silence means
people think we are doing a good job.  What are the things that could
be fixed that would silence the most number of user's complaints?

PS.  One thing I tend to talk to users about is stability of the
interpreter.  When I talk about crashing the interpreter, the most
common first reaction I get is "you can crash the interpreter? How do
you do that?"  I take that answer as a good sign. :-)