[Python-Dev] Explicit Lexical Scoping (pre-PEP?)

Talin talin at acm.org
Tue Jul 4 23:39:44 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Please move this to the python-3000 list.
>
> Also please explain what problem you are solving before proposing a
> solution.
>
> I note that we are seeing quite a flurry of language change proposals.
> I have to recommend restraint; I *don't* want to turn the entire
> language upside down. That's not a comment on this particular
> proposal, but on the issue of too many proposals. From actual users of
> the language I get more complaints about the breakneck speed of
> Python's evolution than about the brokenness of the current language.
>
> --Guido

Actually, the "problem" I am trying to solve is the debate on the
mailing list. That is, I listen to what people are asking for, and what
disagreements they have, and then I try to provide a solution that
resolves the debate.

In this case, there was a lot of discussion about lexical scoping, and
various people proposing solutions (such as redefining the behavior of
'global') that I thought were (a) problematic, and (b) not a lot of bang
for the buck (i.e. the disruption vs. utility tradeoff was poor IMHO.)

To be honest, I really have no stake in this proposal, and I don't
intend to spend any time defending it other than to correct
misperceptions - however, I offer it as a potential starting point for
people who are interested in the whole lexical scoping issue. If someone
feels that this proposal gives them what they want, then great -
otherwise I'll drop it.

-- Talin