[Python-Dev] Lexical scoping in Python 3k

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon Jul 3 15:01:45 CEST 2006

    Josiah> As for a solution, I find the "global means 'not local'"
    Josiah> proposition is the least undesireable of the possibilities.  It
    Josiah> suffers from a change in semantics and potential name masking
    Josiah> issues...

Pychecker and PyLint both already identify cases where builtins are masked
by locals or module globals (and may identify cases where locals mask module
globals - I don't recall).  I suspect both could be generalized in this
regard without a huge effort.  That's probably the best place for this sort
of warning.

Skip