[Python-Dev] weakattr

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Sun Jul 2 06:50:11 CEST 2006

"tomer filiba" <tomerfiliba at gmail.com> wrote:
> weakattr (weak attributes) are attributes that are weakly referenced
> by their containing object. they are very useful for cyclic references --
> an object that holds a reference to itself.

I like the added functionality offered with weakattrs as defined.  I'm
not terribly in love with the syntax of their creation, and I'm curious
as to how it plays with __slots__ (not quite having the time to look at
its implementation right now), but it is quite explicit, so I can get
past that. It would allow us to say, "stop using __del__, use weakattrs",
but I'm not sure how well that would work, generally.

Toss it out in python-list, I think some people over there would be able
to offer more feedback.

 - Josiah