[Python-Dev] how long to wait for expat to incorporate a fix to prevent a crasher?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Sun Jul 2 04:04:47 CEST 2006

On Friday 30 June 2006 16:03, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
 > If you have a patch, you should commit it to our copy. Make sure you
 > activate the test case, so that somebody incorporating the next Expat
 > release doesn't mistakenly roll back your change.

A modified version of Brett's patch has been committed to Expat, along with
regression tests for two specific cases that it handles (only one of which is
relevant to Python).  The patch to xmlparse.c has also been committed to
Python's copy, and the crasher test has been moved to the regular
xml.parsers.expat tests.

 > Of course, you might wait a few days to see whether Fred creates another
 > release that we could incorporate without introducing new features.

I'm not ready to push for an Expat release, since I've not had much time to
pay attention to that project over the past year.  I'm trying to catch up on
that project's email, but don't expect it to be quick.  Once I've had time to
discuss this with the current principal maintainer, it shouldn't be difficult
to get a 2.0.1 release out the door.  Once that's done, it'll be time to sync
with the Expat release again.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.   <fdrake at acm.org>