[Python-Dev] zlib module build failure on Mac OSX 10.4.7

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat Jul 1 19:45:17 CEST 2006

On Jul 1, 2006, at 6:57 PM, skip at pobox.com wrote:

>     Ronald> Are you sure you're building on a 10.4 box?  Both the
>     Ronald> macosx-10.3 thingy and lack of inflateCopy seem to
> indicate that
>     Ronald> you're running on 10.3.
>
> Well, yeah, pretty sure.  Let's see.  The box with the disk says
> "Mac OS X
> Tiger - Version 10.4" on the spine. The "About This Mac" popup says
> "10.4.7".

That gets the easy solution out of the way ;-)

>   It used to run 10.3 though.  Is there some possibility the update
> from 10.3 to 10.4 had problems?
>
> Note that the compile log on the buildbot 10.4 box also has "10.3"
> in its
> directory names.  If I remember correctly, it came from Apple with
> 10.4
> installed.

/me slaps head.

Having 10.3 in the directory names is intentional, the version in the
directory name is the value of MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET, with is
defaulted to 10.3 in the configure script.

What  I don't understand yet is why your copy of libz doesn't have
inflateCopy. What does /usr/lib/libz.dylib point to on your system?
On my 10.4 box it is a symlink that points to libz.1.2.3.dylib and
there is an older version of libz (libz.1.1.3.dylib) in /usr/lib as
well.

Ronald