[Python-Dev] "DOS" error codes, WindowsError, and errno

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Tue Jan 31 06:03:01 CET 2006

Guido:
> What a mess. :-(
>
> WindowsError should have used a different name for the Windows-native
> error code, so we could have defined both separately without
> confusion.
>
> Is it too late to change WindowsError in that way?

I guess "too late" is purely a judgement call about breaking existing code.
One thing to our advantage is that I believe the most common errno
explicitly checked for will be ENOENT, which happily has the same value as
ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND.  [Actually, checking 2 *or* 3 (ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND)
is also common - but ESRCH==3, which sounds reasonable]

Another way forward may be to issue a warning whenever '.errno' or '[0]' is
referenced from WindowsError, noting that the semantics are soon to change,
and to use the new attribute if they really do want a win32 error code.  I'm
not sure how practical that is though...

Mark