[Python-Dev] The path module PEP

Aaron Bingham bingham at cenix-bioscience.com
Thu Jan 26 16:34:32 CET 2006

Stefan Rank wrote:

>on 26.01.2006 14:15 Paul Moore said the following:
>[snip]
>

>>Arguably, Path objects should always maintain an absolute path - there
>>should be no such thing as a relative Path. So you would have
>>

>you realise that one might need and/or want to represent a relative path?

Of course, but it seems to me a relative path is a different type from
an absolute path, in the same way that a timedelta is different from a
datetime.

For example:

 * You can't open a relative path without reference to some absolute
path (possibly the cwd).
 * You can't join two absolute paths, but you can join a relative path
to another relative path, or to an absolute path.

Cheers,

Aaron

Aaron Bingham
Senior Software Engineer