[Python-Dev] New Pythondoc by effbot

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Tue Jan 24 14:05:34 CET 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 19:15 -0500, Terry Reedy wrote:
> >> http://effbot.org/lib/os.path.join
>
> On this page, 8 of 30 entries have a 'new in' comment.  For anyone with no
> interest in the past, these constitute noise.  I wonder if for 3.0, the

Even the past is relative... I find the "new in" doco absolutely
essential, because my "present" depends on what system I'm on, and some
of them are stuck in a serious time-warp. I do not have a time-machine
big enough to transport whole companies.

> timer can be reset and the docs start clean again.  To keep them backwards
> compatible, they would also have to be littered with 'changed in 3.0' and
> 'deleted in 3.0' entries.  Better, I think, to refer people to the last 2.x
> docs and a separate 2.x/3.0 changes doc.

I also find "changed in" essential, but I don't mind not having "deleted
in"... it encourages developers stuck in those time-warps to avoid
features that get deleted in the future :-)

--
Donovan Baarda <abo at minkirri.apana.org.au>
http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/