[Python-Dev] Building on OS X 10.4 fails

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Jan 21 17:19:11 CET 2006

On Jan 18, 2006, at 8:24 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> The import of the Ghostscript case is that the FSF considers a
> Makefile stanza clearly intended to cause linkage to a GPL library,
> even if optional and supplied by the user, to create a work derived
> from that library.  A "GNU readline"-enabled Python is derived from
> GNU readline, and must be distributed under the GPL or not distributed
> at all.  I assume that the former is not acceptable to Python, and the
> latter is clearly undesirable.

In that case, what I think we ought to do is not add the DP paths
(i.e. /opt/local) to setup.py specifically to get its readline, but
instead to pick up any libraries that happen to be in DP in
preference to those in OSX by default.  If that /happens/ to cause a
different version of readline to be used as a side-effect, then oops!
sorry, but so be it.

-Barry